Sunday, June 14, 2009

Feels Like Home {3}

I recently told my P-Daddy that I wouldn't be a good volunteer...that I feel like a lot of people do "volunteer" work because they are trying to get a head...that they want their resume to look better, or they want their social standing to be better. Just calling it like it is, or how I see it. Not saying my word is talking about everyone...just talking generally here. And really, I am talking about myself in a way. In the sorority we had to complete a certain number of volunteer hours per semester and I always STRUGGLED to get through them...because our particular philanthropy wasn't something I was passionate about.

But I am currently a volunteer and I absolutely LOVE it. Even when I had that conversation with P-Daddy I was this same volunteer but because I LOVE it so much, I don't even consider it such. Is it work? YES! Is it hard work? YES! Is it a lot to ask of someone when they aren't getting paid? YES! Which are some of the reasons I thought I wouldn't like volunteerism but can I get a "Feels Like Home" verse from the Delta Gamma crowd (don't pretend like you aren't singing to yourself right now)?! But I don't care about any of those things because I love what I am doing. I feel alive because this particular "work" is tapping into the world that I am comfortable in and enjoy... and I for the first time (I am being honest here) I am really helping this house.

What am I doing? Well essentially I have become the interior designer/project manager for the expansion/house renovation of my old sorority home. It went from "do you want to help choose carpeting and come to a few meetings" to...well what it is now. I did help with the carpeting, and that was fun but it has unfolded is soo much more than that. And I love every second of it. There are days where I do feel like I have a full time job (besides the full time mom gig I got goin on) but in the end, this will all be worth it.

I was limiting myself when it came to volunteerism. I thought it would be something I had to do, not something I wanted to do. At my age and with all my wisdom (HA!) I should have known better! :) I literally don't think you will ever find me (willingly) at a soup kitchen. That is not something that would fill my cup up or make me feel like I was a better person or even really feel like I was helping at all and I am okay with that. I was okay with that before this even. But right now I am experiencing new things, meeting wonderful people all while helping achieve the greater good for the ATDG home at good old BU! I am now the poster child for volunteerism...just ask me! :)

Here is a glimpse at what I have been up to...and what the house will look like when its finished!

A Closer Look (for those who care)...

1 comment:

GranBecks said...

This job is you. You were placed in this position for all the right reasons. They are benefiting more than they can ever know. I can't wait to see the finished product. The only problem I can see is that they did not allow you to be in charge from day 1. But I am your Mom!