Friday, October 17, 2008

Professional Pictures and our First Trip to the ER

I will calm your heart rates first and tell you that our first trip to the ER with JD was very low stress. I actually wasn't even sure I was going to blog about it but I do think that it may help a fellow baby blogger out in the future...

Saturday we were all set to go to the local Pumpkin Patch, take the hay ride, pick out a few pumpkins and most importantly take some pictures of Mr. JD (at this point its all about the photo opp right?) :) I was sitting on the floor with JD in my lap reading a book before morning nap time and all of the sudden he started to rub his right eye and before I could even pass it off as him being tired he started blood curdling SCREAMING!! So I turned him around and looked at him and he would not open his right eye (insert a little bit of panic).

Dad, my eye hurts!
P-Daddy came into the room and looked over the situation and said that we should go ahead and lay him down for a nap (see if he would even take one), that maybe he was just overly tired and throwing a fit (although my instincts told me that wasn't true) BUT I settled, laid JD down for a nap and he actually fell asleep for 2 hours! So when he woke up, his eye was red but he seemed to be back to normal. I just thought that maybe he had something in his eye that had bothered it but now all was fine.

Then for the next hour if he got even close to the sun shining in the house he would scream, grab his eye and run away and sometimes even run into things (insert more panic). So I called the pediatrician, or THREE pediatricians total (everyone I called that was supposed to be on call had a message saying "call x doctor now because I am no longer on call today") so I left a message, Mr. On Call said go straight to the ER, do not pass "Go", do not collect 200 dollars, just go to the ER because they are the only facility open today that has the capability to check to see if he has a tear in his cornea (all my drama queen self could think of that moment was that he was going blind).


All better!


Indianapolis has a wonderful Pediatric ER that we went to. Its amazing, they were amazing and they made him all better! P-Daddy and I were calm. We were actually somewhat skeptical that it was anything more than something in his eye. That our first trip to the ER was going to be a big fat laugh because they were going to give us Natural Tears eye drops, chuckle at us a little, and then send us out the door with a big bill to follow in the next 30 days. Turns out we were wrong and he did in fact have a Corneal Abrasion. It was painful to watch them check for this BUT with some Baby Motrin, and the medicine he was SERIOUSLY all better in less than 24 hours. The eye apparently is the fastest regenerating (aka healing) thing in our bodies. Apparently babies get these all the time because they have something that has gotten in their eye and they itch it and it scratches the cornea. Who knew?


****************************
Last year we had professional pictures taken as a family by Bobbi and Mike Photography. They are AMAZING and I am so glad that we invested in this for his newborn photos (see an example on the right of the blog labeled "family photo"), but this year we decided that JD should be the star of the show by himself and we went for a more "traditional" or what I like to call "old school" route and took him to Portrait Innovations (which I would highly recommend if you are thinking of going this route on photos. Their staff is professional, you can normally make an appointment and get in the same day, they are affordable, AND you get your pictures same day). Although it isn't completely candid (which is more my style), you can definitely see his personality shining through! Here a few of our favorites!





Our Favorite!




Mom, can we PLEASE still go to the Pumpkin Patch? These aren't real!

Dad stop! You are too funny!

I'm ONE!




Why don't we just take this Bear home with us? Seems logical to me Mom and Dad!

You want me to what? Sit on this chair...no chairs are for standing sillies!

6 comments:

Christina said...

Ouch! Poor Jacob; I've had a corneal abrasion myself before and it really hurts! I'm glad he's all better now. And the pictures are so cute! We still have to get Chase's one year pictures done, but I keep putting it off. I better do it soon because he'll be 2 before I know it!

Our Happy Married Life... said...

My little Jacob is getting so big! And, his hair is getting lighter! So super cute. We get to see him November 6th! No, I'm not counting...

GranBecks said...

These are the cutest pictures! (This is totally a rational unbiased opinion.) Love you all, and I am jealous Amy! Hugs, Kisses and Prayers always,

Anonymous said...

Love the professional pictures, he is such a big boy and so glad his eye is okay!

Unknown said...

Love the pictures - he's getting so big. Got your thank you note today in the mail. Hope all is well.

Aimee said...

I love all the pics and still can't get over the eye thing--I actually thought of you last night because corneal abrasion was an answer to a jeapardy clue--weird, huh?