Monday, December 1, 2008

Vacation for Turkey Day...

We rounded ourselves up again for another road trip, this time with sunny Florida as the destination! This time it was 12 hours instead of 7 (we are crazy), but we had a lot of fun along the way, enjoying the sun instead of snow on Thanksgiving!




The view from the top of our house (cloudy day but still pretty)

With my mom in California it can be hard (on all of us) for the holidays. My mom has been WONDERFUL traveling here every chance she gets and spending weeks with her favorite (and only) grandson. We were supposed to make the trip to her this Thanksgiving but the thought of getting on a 4 hour flight with 200 passengers while JD is in a SCREAMING phase (meaning he screams when he wants something, or is mad, or is sad, or sometimes just because) I got hives just thinking about it. So we compromised...kind of! We rented a beautiful home (note to readers, traveling to Destin, Florida in October-February is DIRT CHEAP) that had enough space for everyone and then some and decided that driving would be a better option. When we took the last road trip JD's car seat was still turned backwards and he did okay...so we thought with his carseat now facing forward this one would be even better. We were WRONG!



JD slept 45 minutes in the first day, 25 minutes the second on our way down there. He normally takes TWO, 2 hour + naps a day. So he was screaming and crabby! My brother (bless his heart) drove down there with us and I think he discovered that he may no longer want children. He loves JD and had wonderful patience but I am pretty sure he doesn't want to see any of our faces for a while (and I don't blame him)! The ride home was just as bad but it almost didn't feel that way because I was prepared for it.


The family on Thanksgiving night

I am leaving out the best part though which was the actual trip! The home we stayed in was beautiful, the area was gorgeous, and Thanksgiving was better in Florida than in Indiana! We actually laid out at the pool the day of Thanksgiving while the turkey was a cookin! I couldn't do Christmas like that but Thanksgiving...I think I could do every year!











One of our favorite stories from this particular trip was from a night out at Stinky's Fish Camp. Yes I said Stinky's Fish Camp. Sounds sort of disgusting and the outside is nothing to look at either BUT this place had the best seafood we had ever eaten! We left JD with my mom and her husband and VP, P-Daddy and I set out for a good meal! We came across Stinky's and thought "what the hell, lets try it!"


We sat at the bar and waited for a table (the wait was a half hour, always a good sign right?) and ended up chatting with a couple because they had asked us if we wouldn't mind moving down a seat so they could squeeze in. We noticed that they were eating at the bar so we decided to just go ahead because our stomachs had started growling. The husband of the couple chimed in and said we had made a very good decision by eating at the bar because the bar tender was the BEST! Well, then the bartender was way excited that it was our first time and explained to us that we shouldn't be fooled by the ambiance...that all of the chefs owned the place and they all came from 5 star restaurants. So we ordered with his recommendations and went along our way. The husband then chimes up again and asks what we had ordered and tells us we HAVE to order the bread pudding for dessert because its the best ever. Apparently this place was just written up in "Southern Living" magazine...and I told him that he could be the spokesperson himself for the place!


Our food was AMAZING! I honestly am not a fish gal but it was the best any of us had ever had! Then the couple sends three t-shirts to our table (now that is Southern Hospitality if I ever knew any) and said that they couldn't let us leave without something and they never wanted us to forget our first time at Stinky's! Now I will tell you something...NO ONE in Indiana would ever do something like that! We bought them a round and took a picture (because my VP insisted, which I thought was cute) with them!


The nice family we met!
JD still loves the water and was braver this time than he has ever been! I have to catch him in the bathtub and show you his new moves too. He now pretends like he is swimming in the tub and had started this right before we left for vacation and pretty much continued it in the pool. He isn't quite sure of the ocean though. He didn't like the lake either...he is a pool snob what can I say?




We are quite thankful for many things this year and I couldn't leave that out...
We are thankful for the opportunities we are given
We are thankful for our wonderful family
We are thankful for our dear friends
We are thankful for our relationship
We are thankful for our health
We are thankful for our home
And last but not least...
We are thankful FOR JD!!!


Mommy and Daddy, lets PLEASE not get back in the car for 12 hours...lets just move here, its nice and warm!


**If you are ever in need of a rental home for vacation I would highly recommend
http://www.oceanreefresorts.com/ in the Destin area. Our home was actually in Santa Rosa Beach. They have the best selection in the area. However, our home (probably due to economic reasons) hadn't been occupied in quite some time and we had a few mishaps. Ocean Reef did take care of all of them though with little hesitation so I would still recommend.

7 comments:

Aimee said...

OMG--I was just going to post that I'm going through withdraw and then you posted! Adorable pics, I'd say we'd come with you next year, but I'm not sure we could do the car trip. Jacob looks bigger!

GranBecks said...

It was a wonderful week! I loved being with my husband and my kids! We also had an extra blessing when my sister-in-law Christi and niece Elizabeth drove down from S. Georgia to have T'giving dinner with us! By the way, Frank found Stinky's on line because I wanted fish--we did carry out so we could watch Jacob. I am so happy the kids decided to eat there too, because they had such a fun memory. Thank you, Michelle, for planning all of this and putting it together.

Our Happy Married Life... said...

Stinkys sounds really good right now. Glad you all had fun. I'm definitely going to check out the website.

Anonymous said...

So, I'm totally copying you! We've been talking about a family vaca for a few months and your post just pushed us into high gear! ;-) We're looking at a house about 20 minutes outside of Destin on Seagrove Beach.. Were you close to that or do you know anything about it? You can email me if you want.. anaville0329@hotmail.com

Your anonymous poster - Andrea! ;-)

tmzetterberg@yahoo.com said...

The beach looked beautiful and sounds like you all had a wonderful time (minus the car ride, but that doesn't count).

jz

Anonymous said...

Your vacation sounded so relaxing...and I am so jealous of your great deal and beautiful house. We will have to remember that for next year, when Brody is a little older! Glad you had a wonderful week and got to spend some quality time with family.

Anonymous said...

Uncle Badgeman and I enjoyed viewing your blog and all the great pictures of JD! We laughed out loud at the video of JD on his car...we were expecting him to crash into the cabinets! Never a dull moment with him! Thanks for sharing all the great pictures!