Monday, July 14, 2008

Preparing for our FIRST family Vacation

I have always gone out and purchased new items prior to going on vacation. I believe this came from my mom allowing us to go and get travel sized items or something fun for the plane ride before going on our yearly family vacation. I love buying completely pointless (well not ALL of them have turned out to be pointless but you get my drift right?) things that seem like necessities for each specific trip. Luckily I have P-Daddy who completely gets me and is supportive of the randomness that is me. Love you Daddy!

For this trip I REALLY think I need a large beach bag. Oh I also forgot to mention that when I get my heart set on something for a vacation, I won't stop until I get it no matter what the cost (and normally I am a "sale" shopper). So I found it, FINALLY and randomly at Bed, Bath and Beyond (after literally going to 7 stores and many websites). I also need to mention that a lot of times the items that I think I need for vacation don't come to me until about a week or so before I leave. So this gives me no time to find whatever random item it is for each trip. I think that this Beach Bag will be a God send on this particular vacation because we can use it as a diaper/formula/beach towel/sunscreen/misc bag for an entire day of fun in Wisconsin. We will be leaving our condo everyday to go to Paul's family's cabin and I don't want to have to bring a million different bags each day (yes I am totally defending my beach bag idea). I will let you know how it works out! :)


"THE" Beach Bag

I recently read Christina's blog on how they were traveling with their son Chase who is basically JD's age. In reading all about the diapers, wipes, baby food, pharmacueticals, etc. I realized that I was now stepping into a whole new journey into buying things that I don't really need before a vacation. Now I get to buy for us AND JD. So this has led to a plethora of items that I have purchased to make things "easier" on us for our first family vacation. By the way, Christina and Company braved the Dominican Republic and they survived (and had fun) so I am hoping to survive Wisconsin. :)



I found that Pampers makes "bibsters" which are disposable bibs (amazing, had to get them), purchased an entire case of Similac "ready to feed" (and then of course had to purchase new nipples that will fit on the bottles), mosquito netting for a stroller (a must have right?), baby food (I normally make mine so this is a huge step out of the box for me), a portable DVD player (off of ebay-and it works!), Finding NEMO the movie for JD (and P-Daddy) to watch, a sand pale and shovel for JD to play with at the beach (love the Target "SEE-SPOT-SAVE" section). I am sure there is or will be more but that is the highlight. See what I mean, I get obnoxious with this vacation business. I will also let you know if these items are worth it! You just never know!


Another funny thing about packing for JD is that I literally had to pack almost every item of clothing he owns. Not because I over packed, but because he just doesn't own a lot of "outfits." The mothers reading this that have sons probably understand what I am talking about. For every 10 outfits manufacturers make for baby girls, they make ONE outfit for baby boys. It is a bit frustrating to walk into a MACY's (or any large store you would expect a good hearty baby boy section) and have to search for one cute boy outfit as the baby section is drowning in adorable baby girl outfits (yes sometimes I get bitter about this subject). But onto the funny part of this...JD has been wearing all of the items that are either too big or too small as I didn't want to have to do laundry up until the moment we left. I know I won't always be able to get away with this so I figure why not take advantage while I can!?! :)



Yes folks, that is a Reindeer you see. Happy Holidays! :)

So why an entire blog about packing for our first family vacation? ...because its been a hoot so far! I can't wait to squeeze everything in the back of our SUV and hit the road! We get to spend the night not once, but twice with Amy and Paul (to break up the 9 hour drive) and we get to see family we haven't seen since our wedding. I am sure there will be lots to tell after this next week. We are really looking forward to a fun filled road trip and week away! Wish us luck! :)

PS-for those of you who knew me prior to being a mom...I am fully aware that I have become a bit neurotic. :) The first step is recognition. :)

7 comments:

Christina said...

I do the same thing before we go on any trip -- it usually involves a huge Target run, and it's one of my favorite pre-vacation activities (Andrew thinks it's crazy and unnecessary but he humors me as long as I pick up one or two things for him -- it's amazing how much good will you can buy with a couple of travel-sized toothpastes and a tiny can of shaving cream). Also, your beach bag looks great and I think you will be glad you have it -- if I can suggest something, we got a "diaper wallet" from Target, it's made by Skip Hop and it's really great. It was a great way to throw the diapers, wipes and butt paste into the beach bag and then not have to dig around for it later.
Also, one thing I learned from our trip to the DR was pack extra everything, especially clothes, unless you have laundry facilities, and then you'll be okay with a regular amount of clothes. But definitely extra baby food, diapers, formula, etc.
Have a great time!!

Christina said...

I just remembered that you are going to Wisconsin, and not a third world country like the DR, so you may not need extra everything; I'm sure they have stores in Wisconsin.

Our Happy Married Life... said...

I'm pretty sure you don't need to come up with an excuse to go shopping for unnecessary items. I mean this is YOU we are talking about right? You have gotten a ton better but I know when you and I shop together it's never a necessary thing but we have to have it. There's something about vacation that just calls for a target run. I do it everytime I go somewhere and I'm not packing for a little one. Travel size means I can fit more into my suitcase w/o going over the 50 lb limit at the airport. I know you aren't flying but still. I will see you guys tomorrow! Can't wait!!!

Aimee said...

Have a blast--can't wait to hear stories!

Laura said...

I LOVE the bibsters! I bought them for the Dominican Republic but still use them at home every time we go out to dinner. And the "diaper wallet" Christina mentions was a lifesaver for me too. I'm sure you will so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I hope you survive your 1st long drive with Jacob...I am sure everything will be just fine! Drive safe, have a ton of fun and can't wait to hear all of the details when you return. Watch out for those WI police...they are all over trying to catch speeders! I completely understand your frustrations with the no baby boy clothes, I am right there with you! There are boys in this world too, you know! Have lots of fun and if you run out of anything there is always the wonderful WI Wal-Mart to visit!

mamalouise said...

I love all of the comments, thanks ladies! Thank you to all! We are here (after a total of 2 days worth of 10 hours of driving-whew!) I will keep you updated!