Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Better Naps=Better Playtime

JD is the most wonderful gift that has ever been given to us, hands down. I thank God for our blessing every day! Over the past 9 months we have come to realize that JD loves us a lot too because he would rather hang out with us (who could blame him, we are cool parents :) than sleep. Which translates into we didn't sleep much either. He went from sleeping through the night at 2 months old (I know!) which lasted all of 4 weeks to waking up once, twice, three times in the middle of the night. This led to the us going down the bad road of having him sleep with us. Then GranBeck came into town in February and took control of the sleeping situation and he miraculously started to sleep through the night again! He back tracked a little at one point but overall he has been sleeping 12-14 hours steadily since then! If you are not a mom and you are reading this you think this whole scenario may sound a little over dramatic and not soooo bad. All I can say is that you REALLY don't know what lack of sleep is until you have a child.

JD at 1 month old taking a peaceful nap

This is a time he finally gave up and just fell asleep in his Bumbo!

JD LOVED to sleep in his swing...we were sad for him to grow out of it!
So back to the sleep. So he was sleeping through the night but his naps were literally two, 20 minute naps a day. We recently had JD's 9 month appointment and I asked the doctor how many naps he should be taking and how long they should be (thinking that maybe, just maybe I was being over dramatic and the two, 20 minute nap thing was normal). Well I wasn't being over dramatic, he told me two, 2 HOUR naps a day is what he should be getting. I laughed, then apologized for laughing and explained our situation. He just said that I needed to work on it and leave him in his crib and let him cry it out. Since I know that for nap time this method DOES NOT work I have just been doing what I have always been doing and we have been rolling with the 2, 2o minute nap thing. Until...UNTIL this week (yes I am knocking on wood) when he started sleeping an hour, then an hour and a half, and then this morning 2 AND A HALF HOURS! I was and still am in shock!

This is one of JD's tricks, falling asleep in his Jumperoo (sometimes he looks like this and is still jumping)
JD NOT taking a nap in his Pack N Play.


This napping business has led to a much happier boy during the day. Not that he was crabby all the time but I would that at times he had a short fuse. Now he just wants to play and play! I just had to share this video with you because it is our little one having so much fun! I have loved every different stage he has gone through but for now this one is taking the cake!

4 comments:

Christina said...

How How HOW did you get him to do this with the naps? Just being patient? Chase only sleeps for 45 minutes at the most, on a rare occasion I might get a 90 minute nap out of him, but like I said, it's rare! I've also tried letting him cry at nap time but it hasn't worked.
P.S. Jacob is just such a beautiful little boy!!

Anonymous said...

Umm yes I do know how much you love sleep so I'm glad you have found your fix! I'm crossing my fingers for you too! Looking forward to seeing you and Paul this weekend! Yay you are coming to Chicago finally!!!!!
PS sorry to be anonymous but you know who I am.

Our Happy Married Life... said...

i just wanted to comment again b/c I can and now I have my OWN blog. thanks for inspiring me!

Joseph, Mackenzie, Annabelle and Willa Coan said...

Naps are my favorite time....Annabelle is great at them. She goes down and sleeps for 2 hours and then she will play in her crib for awhile until she yells..."Momma" and then alone time is over:)