Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Travel Club Members

I know, I know you miss me. I missed blogging too. But this girl has found herself to be quite the busy butterfly lately. I won't bore you with those details (for now)...I will get to the vacay as I know you all have been anxious to hear all about!





I wanted to title this "Travel Warriors" because I do feel like, with what P-Daddy and I encountered we are ready and able to handle any travel glitches that come our way from here on out (bring it on Disney World, BRING IT). Lets just say it was a bit rough getting to our location (thank you Iceland volcano) and even rougher getting home (thank you Miami Air).



But alas, we are now officially card carrying members of the FB Travel Club. I have to say, its where all the cool kids are. And we met some cool kids. No, we met some cool friends. Seriously, the group we were with throughout the entire week was great (and great doesn't describe it really). We laughed, we laughed more, we laughed until we cried. It was just a blessing to be with them. I miss all of them actually. And I find it weird to explain this vacation to anyone, even blogger world, because it is one of those experiences that is hard to relive with words. You just had to be there. It truly was a vacation of a lifetime.


Travel stats are

32 hours to get to our first destination (this stopping point was a slight detour to our final destination) which included sitting in Rome's airport for 5 hours waiting and a lovely 6 1/2 hour bus ride through Italy's countryside.
10 hours of rest (thankfully) in a lovely Sheraton hotel in Bari, Italy where I indulged (prior to slumber) in the best red wine I have ever tasted.
2 more hours of waiting
48 or so hours before we united with the FB Travel Club...and we weren't in the group that got the worst of it.
Sat in JFK airport for 11 hours waiting for airplane to come take us back home to Indiana.
Traveled for 32 hours before arriving home sweet home.
Total hours traveled via airports or buses: 80 (Don't.Be.Jealous)





Then there was vacation bliss...










The above pictures highlight the place I would like to now retire to, Santorini, Greece. My pictures do not do my dear Santorini justice as it is literally one of the most beautiful place I have ever seen.



The below pictures highlight our way "out" of Santorini. It involved (as you will see), what was supposed to be a "15 minute walk" down the side of a beautiful mountain, but instead was a over hour walk down a donkey (shit) slippery stone stepped mountain. It was an adventure for sure!






And then there was Athens...















Mykonos, Greece was next and was supposed to be a nightlife location but we couldn't find any. Instead we ate and had a beer and then departed. Was also a beautiful stop though...


The final stop was Dubrovnikkkk (you have to accentuate the k, its just how we do), Croatia. It involved a stop to a local farm where we drank some wine and saw a few local dancers (think men in skirts). We also walked around this city via an ancient wall-PDaddy doesn't like heights so we peaced out on this one as most of this said wall was rather high in the sky.



I said it once and I will say it again, it was a trip of a lifetime. I cannot say I would do it again, but mostly because I know it wouldn't be the same.

And now a few updates:
I rocked the 9 1/2 hour flight, both ways...
...didn't get grouchy once during our two legs of over 24 hours of travel (so proud, right?!...becoming a mom has made me such a grown up-ha!)
...did lose weight (it was not 20 pounds)
...amazed myself at how adventurous I was
...was amazed at how well JD took us being gone in stride
...cannot believe the bond we formed with people we hardly knew going into the week, and I love that

...now I gotta get back to work!

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Pictures are fabulous and sounds like a great trip despite the travel headaches. I'm glad you are home!

Exgf said...

Jealous - like seriously jealous.

What an awesome trip!!!!

LOVE THE PICS!!!!

Kristina said...

Your pictures are AWESOME!!! SOOOO glad you guys had such a wonderful time (once you finally got there)!