Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Kick, Goo, Ma, Mom, Momma, Mommy

This year was (technically) my third mother’s day (totally counting the year I was cooking JD in my belly). Lets go back, shall we.

The first year, “the kick year” we shall call it, was interesting because I didn’t know if I was cooking a boy or a girl. But, really I did know I was having a boy. Well at least I had a hunch. At this point I thought I knew what it meant to be a mom, as I was already making sacrifices for my little one (insert me laughing at myself at this one). Turns out I had NO IDEA.

Year two, “The Goo” year, JD was 8 months old and was still not sleeping through the night on a regular basis. I was tired beyond belief and losing it a little I think. At this point I had given up my career, my bed, and lets be honest my sanity. I now knew what it meant to be a mom. At least a mom of an infant. :) That all sounds terrible, but if you are a mom and reading this you know it doesn’t at all feel terrible. It somehow is still amazing and rewarding, each and everyday. Trying, yes…but one little milestone that you know you had a hand in…even as little as a smile on their face…makes all the spit up and sleepless nights worth it. On this Mother’s Day JD also held his own bottle for the first time and we went to brunch as a family for the first time.

Last year, the “Ma, Mom, Momma” year where I was hearing those words from my little man on a regular basis had JD starting to become the little man he is today. That little man I grew in my belly who I found on THAT Mother’s Day walking around our yard, golf club in hand, swinging away at golf balls and bossing P-Daddy and I around. Although he couldn’t really talk…we were still bossed.

This year I am Mommy. When he says Mommy it makes him sound so grown up for some reason. Although I know eventually I will just be “Mom”…which is REALLY grown up…for now Mommy seems so mature-ha! This year as I reflected on JD’s life to date I am thankful. Yes, of his health and happiness. But more than that…I am thankful for the words he says (ahem the sentences he speaks), the confidence he possesses, his “dance like no ones watching” ways, the way he laughs at jokes that everyone else laughs at when he has no idea what the joke really was, and that when he walks into a room everyone notices. You know as a girl/teen/woman I always wanted to be that person that walked into a room and everyone noticed…I never knew that it would be SO.MUCH.BETTER to raise someone else to be that person.

We had a wonderful Mother’s Day twenty ten shared with all the Moms in our life! It was the first Mother’s Day where we all could be together and I have to say that I hope it is a tradition we keep forever. It was so nice to share that day with the ones we love. This year on Mother’s Day, JD said “Happy Mother’s Day” for the first time (insert-awwww).

Overall, becoming a Mother is soo not what I thought it was going to be. I used to be somewhat angry at women, mother’s for not preparing us with any advice other than “everything is gum drops and roses” but now I understand. I mean, to most people I am brutally honest when asked specific questions because I don’t want others to be as shocked as I was on certain things. But for the most part, the gum drops and roses really do sum it all up. It’s the silver lining for sure….and every day I feel blessed to have the title of JD’s Mommy.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

LOVE this post! JD is lucky to have you as his mommy :-)