Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Skinny and More...

*Before reading, if you need to get caught up, click HERE to read the original Skinny post.*

NEWSFLASH, I am totally "The Skinny" now...I know, crazy how that happens huh? One day I woke up and I had lost an amount of pounds (overnight mind you) that will remain top secret, oh and I grew 5 inches and now resemble Heidi Klum. Its amazing what I have been missing way down there now that I can see the world from a whole new level (my new height people, stay with me) Regardless, whew was that easy or what! KIDDING, women (and men if you are out there, hello to you too). The Skinny is really not about being SKINNY anyway now is it?!

On a side note, speaking of the above and "miraculous" weight loss...I LOATHE women who do lose weight drastically and when asked they say "I don't know, it just fell off, I swear I am not doing anything different." First of all, if that REALLY is the case, then someone should tell them that they should go see their MD because something is probably wrong with them (I know its hard, cause they are The Skinny and we lose focus but really, losing weight and doing nothing probably equals something wrong). My point is there is ALWAYS something attributed to losing weight "randomly"...a bad break up, "forgetting" to eat (which on a side note I really never thought was possible but did forget to eat a few times during wedding planning for our nuptials because I really was that busy...but as soon as I realized I forgot, not to worry people, I ate something so I am pretty sure a meal was NEVER skipped...bitch get cranky when she's hungry! HA!), a death, deep hidden issues, picking up smoking, sickness (even a cold), etc. All of which is SOMETHING and did attribute to weight loss, so quit LYING people, QUIT LYING because it drives all of us crazy. Bonkers actually.

I was and still am overwhelmed by the response I received from all of you amazing women out there on the original Skinny post. Many of you I actually know in real life so it was interesting to see your take on this as in college we really would have never shared on a subject like this. It was more like "Do I look fat in this?" every.single.night. (oh and if you don't know, I am talking mostly about myself-ha!) I found inspiration in a lot of your words, for myself, for others and most importantly FOR YOU. I really do only share things as personal as The Skinny because I know I am not alone and that my words may inspire, help, comfort another human being going through a similar journey. When you post comments on something as personal as The Skinny I really do believe you are not just talking to me, but to yourself too. I think some of you were trying to convince yourself in one way or another about your Skinny journey...and I have been praying for you. Being honest with yourself about every little feeling you have about life is the best gift you can give to YOU.

My journey with the Skinny has been rather pleasant as a couple of things have happened. I am doing that honest thing (mentioned in the final sentence of the paragraph above-got that? HA!) with myself and really have learned to love who I am right now. I do believe loving that person, namely good old me, exactly how I am in any particular moment of my life may be the single hardest thing of my journey. Oh and people, before you judge that this is super selfish because looks are not that important, I am NOT talking just about my appearance. Loving yourself includes loving your mistakes, forgiving yourself, and moving on to the present. I am my worst critic. So the Skinny for me includes trying to love that girl in the mirror that is hanging out on the INSIDE. :)

I'd love to know if any of you tried the whole looking at yourself naked in the mirror thing...I am still working through that. ITS HARD, don't lie, cause it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And just for good measure (and because my brain is full again)...here are some random thoughts I have had lately:

P-Daddy and I went cruisin into the Caribbean for our 5 year anniversary and since this was the first plane ride I had taken in over 2 years I was AMAZED at the amount of people that carry on their luggage when it is CLEARLY too big for the "overhead compartment." It amazes me because yes, I agree, the airlines making us pay an extra $20 for our luggage seems like a rip off because it was always "included" but people you already paid $200+ dollars for your plane ticket...what is $20?? On that note, I was also amazed at how crappy people are to the flight attendants in general.

I balled my eyes out last week when George died on Grey's Anatomy. Especially when Meredith cried. I ALWAYS cry when Meredith cries...

So JD can get his arms out of the straps of his car seat...and NO it isn't that I don't tighten it enough because I do, believe me. Being on the highway seeing him bent over, half out of his car seat is reason enough to make sure those straps are almost TOO tight (and yes I did pull over and strap him back in, immediately). Doesn't matter though, he pulls down the clip that is supposed to go over his chest and wiggles his way out. I am looking for help and advice here. I have heard of this before and just am wondering if there is a handy dandy device out there to stop this madness. :) Thank you in advance if you know of anything!

I wore a bikini on the cruise. Two pieces, stomach exposed. No one died at the site. You should have been there, it was HOT.

I have discovered in my quests at the gym that I REALLY hate the instructors of spin classes that yell at you and tell you that if you are not winded then you really aren't working out hard enough AND they scream at the class to work harder and don't be lazy. Here is my deal...most likely if you got your butt to a spin class you probably aren't THAT lazy of a person to begin with...oh and while you yell you mean, mean women, I sit and huff and puff and think about blowing your house down.

"How I Met Your Mother" is the best show on television right now, hands down.

If you are not on Facebook, you really should join. Its worth the pure entertainment of your "friends" status updates. Oh and the reason I put friends in quotations is because I have 345 "friends"...lets face it I am a "friend horror" because I just can't say no to people even if we weren't ever REAL friends in college, high school, or even middle school for that matter. But really those people's status updates are my favorite anyway...freaking laugh out loud funny people.

I am not sure there is much better than college football Saturday's where the house is filled with smells of something being made in the crock pot, the sound of the roaring crowd in the background, hoodie sweatshirts and jeans.

I'm in the market for a pair of peep toe black leather heels. Anyone have a favorite pair or brand that they would like to share? And by share I mean tell me what brand they are or where you purchased them, just clarifying! :)

I love fall. A lot of people say this but they also say they LOVE summer too. Nope people, fall is it for me. I could totally bi pass the hot days of summer and live in a bliss of fall every day of my life! :)

I don't care if you put baby in a corner.

JD knows how to take an OREO a part and lick the icing first and then eat the cookie. No one in our house eats Oreos except for him (okay so maybe me sometimes too, but I eat the whole cookie TOGETHER, and nothing but the cookie so help me God) so I find this interesting that he knew how to go for (what most normal people consider) the good stuff first when no one taught him.

I am not perfect nor am I even remotely close. Just throwing that out there. I really hope I don't portray that. I struggle with my relationship with God, my own family, my friends, and as you know my own Skinny.

I am singing in Uncle Badgeman's and R's wedding in 16 days. Oddly I am not nervous...pray for me anyway please.

I saw this verse this morning and think it is lovely:
If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head. Do no be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans: 12: 20-21

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post! OH MY to JD getting his arms out of his car seat...OH MY...I wish I knew something that would help you! We will all be thinking about you in 15 days while you are singing...I know you will do an amazing job, as you have always had a beautiful voice. I HAVE tried looking at myself in the mirror, and I am still not loving my entire body, but beginning to love parts a little bit more than before!!! Keep these awesome posts coming...they brighten my day. Oh and I HATE fall, because I NEVER know what to wear and cold weather is just depressing! But I do LOVE cuddling up on the couch with a very warm blanket! Love you!

BandBbaby said...

Great post girl! I really had a struggle with "the skinny" the other day. I was on the floor playing with Garrett paying more attention to how my stomach was looking bent over and wishing I wasnt too busy with work this week to make it to that dreaded spinning class, instead of playing with my son. Then I wondered why I just cant be at peace that I may never look like I did five years ago, ever again...and just love me, "the mommy" now. And I am in complete agreement about fall. Ask any of my friends/family I truely love fall and fall only! I am having one of those said fall Saturdays right now, Purdue football game on, wearing a sweatshirt with homemade chicken and noddles in the crockpot! Love it!

Tony & Jaimie said...

Another fun post Michelle - i enjoy your "rambling". I've been meaning to talk to you about your cruise...tony and i were going to go for our 5 year as well, but then somebody got knocked up! :) let's see...peep toes stilletos...i found some cute ones at Target actually the other day, and they are never over $25, so if you're tired of them by next season, you can chuck them w/o feeling bad. And if you're looking for something a little more sassy - i found some cheetah peep toes at Kohls for $20. They would be fabulous with jeans! and finally - nobody puts baby in the corner!..what in the world?!? somebody actually gave me a onesie for claire when she was a baby that had that saying on it - hil..arious!

GranBecks said...

I sure enjoy reading your blog and then the comments! Carrie Fisher was on "The View" last Fri. and she said something like, "I have learned at my age, people need to get over looking at the outside of my house and come on in and look at the furnishings." Anyway, just know that no one really is secure in the way they look, but I do believe you can battle insecurity and choose to love yourself daily! I love you, Mom PS we dvr'ed Glee and just watched...reminds me of the old days! (kind of, sort of)

mamalouise said...

Talia-you got married in the fall and you hate it? I am confused...anniversary day sharer?! :) And you are always looking very cute and fashionable no matter what season! I love you and your comment made me smile. Thank you!

Brooke-I have no idea what you are talking about when you start rambling about your stomach cause I see pictures of you and am convinced as an outsider that you have a flat stomach and have since the day "G" was born. You are silly! But I totally get it, believe me I do!

Jaimie-I am totally going to go to Target...you are talking to a huge Target shopper here and so I am elated they have some! I will let you know on the cruise at playdate! :)

GranBeck/Mom-I love that quote! LOVE IT! Thank you for sharing!

Lora said...

When you post comments on something as personal as The Skinny I really do believe you are not just talking to me, but to yourself too


yes! This is exactly how I feel on some of my blog posts too

Nick and Jenn said...

Love it, love it, love it! Keep these posts coming. I am right there with you on fall. Love it. Could live all year in fall and do without the hot summer days. I was actually happy it was a mild summer unlike most folks. Thanks for doing this posts. I really think it helped kick start some self reflection for me. Have a great week! Oh...and if you have any tips on the carseat from others let me know. I'm pretty sure Max will be heading down that road soon since he seems to be following in JD's footsteps with electronics.

Aimee said...

Notice how you title your post the skinny and now all your google ads are for diet miracle drugs....even the internet is pushing complexes on us....

GranBecks said...

I did not know where to post this comment, but I just clicked on baby Stellan and read all the updates on him. He really is a miracle baby. If you all have not checked that out lately, it is worth the link click. Love, Mom